The Non-Euclidean, Hyperbolic Plane: Its Structure and Consistency by P. Kelly, G. Matthews (Paperback, 1981)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $140.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $44.00Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by marlowes_books
- Est. delivery by 2 Mar
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe discovery of hyperbolic geometry, and the subsequent proof that this geometry is just as logical as Euclid's, had a profound in- fluence on man's understanding of mathematics and the relation of mathematical geometry to the physical world. It is w possible, due in large part to axioms devised by George Birkhoff, to give an accurate, elementary development of hyperbolic plane geometry. Also, using the Poincare model and inversive geometry, the equiconsistency of hyperbolic plane geometry and euclidean plane geometry can be proved without the use of any advanced mathematics. These two facts provided both the motivation and the two central themes of the present work. Basic hyperbolic plane geometry, and the proof of its equal footing with euclidean plane geometry, is presented here in terms acces- sible to anyone with a good background in high school mathematics. The development, however, is especially directed to college students who may become secondary teachers. For that reason, the treatment is de- signed to emphasize those aspects of hyperbolic plane geometry which contribute to the skills, kwledge, and insights needed to teach eucli- dean geometry with some mastery.
- Author(s)G. Matthews,P. Kelly
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication18/06/1981
- Series TitleUniversitext
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight534 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1981
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.