All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis magisterial Norton Anthology, edited by world-rewned scholars, offers a portable library of more than 1,000 primary texts from the world's major religions. To help readers encounter strikingly unfamiliar texts with pleasure; accessible introductions, headtes, antations, prouncing glossaries, maps, illustrations and chrologies are provided. For readers of any religion or ne, The Norton Anthology of World Religions opens new worlds that, as Miles writes, invite us to see others with a measure of openness, empathy, and good will... Unprecedented in scope and approach, The Norton Anthology of World Religions: Islam brings together over 100 texts from the Qur'an in the seventh century to feminist and pluralist readings of the Qur'an in the twenty-first century. The volume features Jack Miles's illuminating General Introduction- How the West Learned to Compare Religions -as well as Jane Dammen McAuliffe's Submission to God as the Wellspring of a Civilization, a lively primer on the history and core tenets of Islam.
- Author BiographyJane Dammen McAuliffe (Ph.D. University of Toronto), the inaugural director of National and International Outreach at the Library of Congress, is the editor of the six- volume Encyclopaedia of the Qur'an and the Cambridge Companion to the Qur'an. She is a former president of Bryn Mawr College and a former dean of arts and sciences at Georgetown University. Jack Miles (Ph.D. Harvard) is Distinguished Professor of English and Religious Studies with the University of California at Irvine and Senior Fellow for Religious Affairs with the Pacific Council on International Policy. He spent 1960-70 as a Jesuit seminarian, studying at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem before enrolling at Harvard University, where he completed a Ph.D. in Near Eastern languages in 1971. His book GOD: A Biography won a Pulitzer Prize in 1996, and Christ: A Crisis in the Life of God led to his being named a MacArthur Fellow for 2003-07.
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication17/04/2015
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJane Dammen McAuliffe
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.