The Numbers Game: Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics by Alan Schwarz (Paperback / softback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.73Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost baseball fans, players and even team executives assume that the national pastime's infatuation with statistics is simply a by-product of the information age, a phemen that blossomed only after the arrival of Bill James and computers in the 1980s. They couldn't be more wrong.In this award-winning book, Alan Schwarz - whom bestselling Moneyball author Michael Lewis calls one of today's best baseball journalists - provides the first-ever history of baseball statistics, showing how baseball and its numbers have been inseparable ever since the pastime's birth in 1845. He tells the history of this obsession through the lives of the people who felt it most: Henry Chadwick, the 19th-century writer who invented the first box score and harped endlessly about which statistics mattered and which did t; Allan Roth, Branch Rickey's right-hand numbers man with the late-1940s Brooklyn Dodgers; Earnshaw Cook, a scientist and Manhattan Project veteran who retired to pursue inventing the perfect baseball statistic; John Dewan, a former Strat-O-Matic maven who built STATS Inc. into a multimillion-dollar powerhouse for statistics over the Internet; and dozens more.Schwarz paints a history t just of baseball statistics, but of the soul of the sport itself. Named as ESPN's 2004 Baseball Book of the Year, The Numbers Game will be an invaluable part of any fan's library and go down as one of the sport's classic books.
- Author BiographyAlan Schwarz is the Senior Writer of Baseball America magazine, a weekly columnist for ESPN.com, and a frequent contributor to The New York Times. His work has appeared in Newsweek, The Wall Street Journal, and more than a dozen other national publications. He lives in Manhattan.
- Author(s)Alan Schwarz
- PublisherThomas Dunne Books
- Date of Publication02/05/2005
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThomas Dunne Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width140 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Foreword byPeter Gammons
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.15New
- AU $21.21New
- AU $24.85New
- AU $19.97New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.81New
- AU $11.56Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.52New
- AU $32.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.99
- AU $18.58Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.06
- AU $16.05Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.48
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.