Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Odysseyis literature's grandest evocation of every man's journey through life. In the myths and legends that are retold here, the energy and poetry of Homer's original is captured in a bold, contemporary idiom, giving us an edition ofThe Odysseythat is a joy to listen to, worth savoring treasuring for its sheer lyrical mastery. This audiobook is sure to delight both the classicist and the general reader, and to captivate a new generation of Homer's students.
- Author BiographyHomer was probably born around 725BC on the Coast of Asia Minor, now the coast of Turkey, but then really a part of Greece. Homer was the first Greek writer whose work survives.He was one of a long line of bards, or poets, who worked in the oral tradition. Homer and other bards of the time could recite, or chant, long epic poems. Both works attributed to Homer the Iliad and the Odyssey are over ten thousand lines long in the original. Homer must have had an amazing memory but was helped by the formulaic poetry style of the time.In the Iliad Homer sang of death and glory, of a few days in the struggle between the Greeks and the Trojans. Mortal men played out their fate under the gaze of the gods. The Odyssey is the original collection of tall traveller s tales. Odysseus, on his way home from the Trojan War, encounters all kinds of marvels from one-eyed giants to witches and beautiful temptresses. His adventures are many and memorable before he gets back to Ithaca and his faithful wife Penelope.We can never be certain that both these stories belonged to Homer. In fact Homer may not be a real name but a kind of nickname meaning perhaps the hostage or the blind one . Whatever the truth of their origin, the two stories, developed around three thousand years ago, may well still be read in three thousand years time.
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin USA
- Weight408 g
- Width128 mm
- Height153 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Read bySir Ian McKellen
- Contained items statement11 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time780
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $35.44
- AU $28.57Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $48.94Trending at AU $55.35
- AU $31.18Trending at AU $37.14
- AU $45.90Trending at AU $46.34
- AU $18.35Trending at AU $19.93
- AU $14.77Trending at AU $19.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.