All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Haitian Revolution (1789-1804) was an epochal event that galvanized slaves and terrified planters throughout the Atlantic world. Rather than view this tumultuous period solely as a radical rupture with slavery, Malick W. Ghachem's invative study shows that emancipation in Haiti was also a long-term product of its colonial legal history. Ghachem takes us deep into this volatile colonial past, digging beyond the letter of the law and vividly re-enacting such episodes as the extraordinary prosecution of a master for torturing and killing his slaves. This book brings us face-to-face with the revolutionary invocation of Old Regime law by administrators seeking stability, but also by free people of color and slaves demanding citizenship and an end to brutality. The result is a subtle yet dramatic portrait of the strategic stakes of colonial governance in the land that would become Haiti.
- Author BiographyMalick W. Ghachem is Associate Professor of Law at the University of Maine School of Law. A historian and lawyer, he has held a Chateaubriand Fellowship from the French government; a senior fellowship at the Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance and Abolition at Yale University; a Geballe Prize Dissertation Fellowship at the Stanford Humanities Center; and the Charles Hamilton Houston Fellowship at Harvard Law School. His articles and reviews have appeared in Law and History Review, The William and Mary Quarterly, The Los Angeles Times Book Review, The Yale Journal of Law and the Humanities and the UCLA Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law.
- Author(s)Malick W. Ghachem
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication05/03/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note7 b/w illus.
- Weight610 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $89.67New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $30.78New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $28.33Trending at AU $30.23
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.