All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIowa six-player girls' basketball was the most successful sporting activity for girls in American history, at its zenith involving more than 70 percent of the girls in the state. The state tournament was so popular-regularly drawing fifteen thousand fans, more than the boys' tourney-that officials declined a lucrative broadcasting offer from ABC's Wide World of Sports rather than forfeit the Iowa Girls' High School Athletic Union's control of the game. The Only Dance in Iowa chronicles the one-hundred-year history of this Iowa tradition, long a symbol of the state's independence and the people's rural pride. Max McElwain shows how, well before the passage of Title IX in 1972, Iowa six-player girls' basketball was, as Sports Illustrated gushed, a utopia for girls' athletics. He also demonstrates how, ironically eugh, the fallout from Title IX in many ways led to six-girl basketball's demise. Through interviews, careful ethgraphy, and detailed historical analysis, McElwain exposes the intricate political, sociological, and historical dynamics of this cultural phemen. His book reveals how six-girl basketball, flourishing with the passionate support of Iowa's small towns, school districts, and media, came to represent the state's strong traditional beliefs and the public school system's determination to maintain its identity in the face of national educational trends. The Only Dance in Iowa is as much a study of this disappearing culture as of the game it claimed as its own.
- Author BiographyMax McElwain, an assistant professor of communication arts at Wayne State College, is a former sportswriter for several Midwestern newspapers.
- Author(s)David McElwain,Max McElwain
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2004
- SubjectBall Games: Court & Indoor
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note10 photographs, figure, 3 tables, index
- Weight386 g
- Width3437 mm
- Height5193 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.