All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
About this product
- DescriptionThe Organic Globalizer is a collection of critical essays which takes the position that hip-hop holds political significance through an understanding of its ability to at once raise cultural awareness, expand civil society's focus on social and ecomic justice through institution building, and engage in political activism and participation. Collectively, the essays assert hip hop's importance as an organic globalizer: matter its pervasiveness or reach around the world, hip-hop ultimately remains a grassroots phemen that is born of the community from which it permeates. Hip hop, then, holds promise through three separate but related avenues: (1) through cultural awareness and identification/recognition of voices of marginalized communities through music and art; (2) through social creation and the institutionalization of independent alternative institutions and n-profit organizations in civil society geared toward social and ecomic justice; and (3) through political activism and participation in which demands are articulated and made on the state. With editorial bridges between chapters and an emphasis on interdisciplinary and diverse perspectives, The Organic Globalizer is the natural scholarly evolution in the conversation about hip-hop and politics.
- Author BiographyChristopher Malone is Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Political Science at Pace University, USA. He is the author of Between Freedom and Bondage (2007) and co-editor of Occupying Political Science (2013). George Martinez Jr. is Adjunct Professor of Political Science at Pace University, USA, and is founder/CEO of the Global Block Foundation. He serves as Cultural Envoy and Hip-Hop Ambassador for the U.S. Department of State.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Date of Publication15/01/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic USA
- Content Note1 halftone illus
- Weight571 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byChristopher Malone,Jr.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.