All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis text applies organization theory to British business and illuminates its historical and contemporary organizational patterns. The text is unique in that it systematically combines organization theory with the results of historical and social-scientific research, to produce an authoritative account of contemporary organizational change. The argument is amply illustrated by the presentation and discussion of highly topical case studies of big business strategy. Professor Ackroyd argues that the orthodox (contingency) approach to organizational structure does t provide an adequate analysis of current structural changes in the British ecomy. He puts forward an alternative perspective on organizational structures which draws on both classical ideas (particularly those of Weber) and some recent theory, to produce an account of the typical historical patterns of both large and small UK organizations and to illuminate their contemporary transformations. Using established social-scientific research, Professor Ackroyd shows that British organizations are adopting some highly distinctive new organizational forms and patterns of inter-firm relationships. This analysis is then used as the basis for a presentation and critique of much of the abundant writing on contemporary organizational change, including sophisticated theories such as institutional theory, regulationist theory and ideas on the effects of globalization. Finally, Professor Ackroyd shows that much organizational change today has clear policy implications for government.
- Author BiographyStephen Ackroyd is Professor of Organizational Analysis in the Management School of Lancaster University.
- Author(s)Stephen Ackroyd
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication13/06/2002
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight517 g
- Width157 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.