All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
- AU $23.08Trending at AU $29.68
About this product
- DescriptionThe study presents a comparison of legislation and practice with regard to fostering and other forms of child care in the Middle East, and is also a comparison of child care in Islam and in Judaism. It is based on the relevant passages in Islamic and Jewish law, supplemented by the respective provisions of international conventions, and on extensive field work in terms of personal interviews and observations. The study attempts a compilation of official activities and private options in the interest of the child. It also documents female ingenuity and sense of practicability. Particular attention is paid to the specific national aspirations and family concepts encountered, including examples of imamic and rabbinical opinions and statements. Special subjects addressed comprise secret adoption, the dormant child, the Cohen puzzle, and the mystery of the Yemeni babies.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Born 1939 in a traditional western European family Annelies Glander studied languages and, simultaneously, started to explore other civilisations. After extensive field research in Arab countries and in Israel she also obtained a master degree in Social Anthropology and a doctorate in Sociology. She works as a linguist and terminologist but is also involved in research projects and development aid activities in the third world.
- Author(s)Annelies Glander
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/03/2001
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften/European University Studies / Publications Universitaires Europeennes Reihe 22: Soziologie/Series 22: Sociology/Serie 22: Sociologie
- Series Part/Volume Number355
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight340 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.