All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 'Syria idea' emerged in the nineteenth century as a concept of national awakening superseding both Arab nationalism and separatist currents. Looking at nationalist movements, ideas and individuals, this book traces the origin and development of the idea of Syrian nationhood from the perspective of some of its leading pioneers. Providing a highly original comparative insight into the struggle for independence and sovereignty in post-1850 Syria, it addresses some of the most persistent questions about the development of this nationalism. Chapters by eminent scholars from within and outside of the region offer a comprehensive study of individual Syrian writers and activists caught in a whirlwind of uncertainty, competing ideologies, foreign interference, and political suppression. A valuable addition to the present scholarship on nationalism in the Middle East, this book will be of interest to many professionals as well as to scholars of history, Middle East studies and political science.
- Author BiographyAdel Beshara studied Economics at La Trobe University and Political Science at the University of Melbourne. He received his PhD in History in 2002 from the University of Melbourne, where he is also a teacher and a Fellow of the Department of History.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/03/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight566 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAdel Beshara
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.