All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo issue in modern history has been more intensively studied, or subject to wider interpretation, than the origins of the Second World War. A conflict involving three - arguably four - major aggressor Powers, operating simultaneously but largely separately on two continents, inevitably raises complex theories and debates. Each participating power has its own history, and each one must take account of various influences upon the behaviour of its soldiers and statesmen. His wide-ranging collection of original essays, each by an international expert in their field, covers all aspects of the subject and highlights the controversy that continues to characterise current thinking on the origins of the war. Going beyond the usual Eurocentric approach, Part I examines the roles of all seven of the Great Powers (including Japan and the USA), as well as the parts played by several of the lesser Powers, such as Czechoslovakia, Poland and China. Part II contains chapters which explore key themes that cant be fully understood within the context of any single country. These themes include the role of ideology, propaganda, intelligence, armaments, ecomics, diplomacy, the neutral states, peace movements, and the social science approach to war. Written in clear, jargon-free prose, together these essays provide a comprehensive single-volume text for students and teachers, and are essential reading for all with an interest in the debates surrounding the causes of World War Two.
- Author BiographyROBERT BOYCE is Senior Lecturer in the Department of International History at the London School of Economics. JOSEPH A. MAIOLO is Lecturer in International History in the Department of War Studies, King's College London.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication13/06/2003
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note4 maps, figures, chronology, further reading, index
- Weight618 g
- Width155 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJoseph A. Maiolo,Robert Boyce
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $19.30Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.75Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.