All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArabic was one of the first languages in which the Gospel was preached. Yet in the West, scholars have all but forgotten about these texts. In The Orthodox Church in the Arab World (700-1700), Alexander Treiger and Samuel Noble bring these rich but overlooked works to English-language readers. The popular assumption in Christian history is that Christianity - in the wake of Islamic conquests - abandoned the Middle East in order to root elsewhere. Treiger and Noble show this t to be the case, highlighting an impressive diversity of genres by which Arabic writers engaged Christian orthodoxy, including translations of the Bible, biblical commentaries, hagiography, theological and polemical treatises, devotional poetry, philosophy, medicine, and history.
- Author BiographyAlexander Treiger is associate professor in the Department of Classics and the Program in Religious Studies at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Samuel Noble is a doctoral candidate in religious studies at Yale University.
- PublisherNorthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication21/03/2014
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationDekalb, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthern Illinois University Press
- Weight517 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byAlexander Treiger,Samuel Noble
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.75Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.