All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe discovery of gold and the prospect of easily acquired riches destabilized society in the Australian colony of Victoria. At Ballarat, one of the colony s principal goldfields, the collapse of previously adhered-to moral restraints and the presence of lawless behaviour was commonplace. Against seemingly insurmountable odds, a small but zealous body of clerics and schoolteachers endeavoured to counter the influence of immorality and crime by promoting virtue and honesty in children.As a social history, the book especially examines to use the words of Reverend Thomas Hastie, an 1850s Buninyong preacher the humbler classes . The Other Rebellion is different to other history books, and uniquely appealing.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Keith Moore has a Ph.D. in History and lives in Brisbane where he lectures in History at Queensland University of Technology. Before embarking on a lecturing career, he was a schoolteacher and his understanding of the profession is evident in his examination of his schoolteacher subjects in The Other Rebellion. More recently, the author has written a number of articles and papers on Australian Society in the 1960s, and is currently writing a book on the institution of responsible government in New South Wales and Queensland in the 1850s.
- Author(s)Keith Moore
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/12/2004
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note35 illustrations
- Weight280 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.