All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Other Side is the first major ethgraphic and historical study of the Sia Raga people of rth Pentecost Island, a region that was home to the late Father Walter Lini, Vanuatu's first prime minister. Exploring Raga social, spatial, and historical consciousness, this richly poetic account provides important theoretical contributions to ongoing debates in Pacific anthropology about the relation between structure and history, and place and time. It reveals important insights into the convergence of indigeus and exogeus cosmologies and hegemonies historically, and shows how these are implicated in contemporary social, ritual, and material cultural expressions. These analysis engage with broader concerns relating to colonial and postcolonial identities, political ecomy, and globalization in island Melanesia.
- Author BiographyJohn Patrick Taylor is a Simon Research Fellow at the University of Manchester.
- Author(s)John Patrick Taylor
- PublisherUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2008
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitlePacific Islands Monograph Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 22
- Place of PublicationHonolulu, HI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Content Note37 illustrations, 3 maps
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.