All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA challenge, a mission, a hope for a better life for all in an embattled country. This was the author's vision in The Other's Other . The challenge turned out to be greater and different than imagined; the mission more exasperating; the hope, more complicated. The book offers a new perspective on the problematic encounter between Jewish and Arab Israelis through the experience of a Jewish lecturer at an Arab college in an Arab city in Israel. The author's unique insights into Arab Israeli culture gleaned from conversations with staff and students, students' work, and everyday contact offer a window on the often conflicting feelings; the ambiguities, ambivalent identities, and layers of reality; the questions, doubts and dilemmas that mark the struggle of Arabs and Jews living in one country. It is also a meditation on the rewards and difficulties of discovering and accepting the other - and oneself as the other's other. Of coexistence.
- Author BiographyDr. Helen Paloge is an English lecturer in an Arab college in Israel. Originally from Montreal and New York, she has lived in Israel for the past 40 years. She is also the author of a book about the female body in literature.
- Author(s)Helen Paloge
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication06/08/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight340 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.