All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe debts that English poetry owes to the Classics are massive and various. But they have been richly repaid by the astonishingly inventive tradition of translation to which some of the greatest poets in the English language have contributed, including Chaucer and Jonson, Dryden and Pope, Tennyson and Ezra Pound This anthology presents the wealth of this living tradition as it has never been seen before, ranging from King Alfred to contemporary poets such as Ted Hughes, and from North America to Ireland and Scotland. It offers a vast array of responses to the song, verse, and drama of ancient Greece and Rome, and to poets themselves as varied as Homer, Sappho, and Euripides; Virgil, Ovid, and Juvenal. Organized by classical author and text, it runs from the epics of Homer to the late antique world where Greek and Latin writing both faced an emerging Christian culture, and juxtaposes English versions, sometimes of the same passage or poem, to dramatize the endless re-animation of one great poetic tradition in and through ather.
- Author BiographyAdrian Poole is University Lecturer in English at Trinity College, Cambridge. Jeremy Maule is Newton Trust Assistant Lecturer in English, and Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication12/10/1995
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleOxford Books of Verse
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1202 g
- Width164 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edited byAdrian Poole,Jeremy Maule
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.