Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $15.11Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Oxford Companion to Family and Local History is the most authoritative guide available to all things associated with the family and local history of the British Isles. It provides practical and contextual information for anyone enquiring into their English, Irish, Scottish, or Welsh origins and for anyone working in genealogical research, or the social history of the British Isles. This fully revised and updated edition contains over 2,000 entries from adoption to World War records. Recommended web links for many entries are accessed and updated via the Family and Local History companion website. This edition provides guidance on how to research your family tree using the internet and details the full range of online resources available. Newly structured for ease of use, thematic articles are followed by the A-Z dictionary and detailed appendices, which include further reading. New articles for this edition are: 'A Guide for Beginners', 'Links between British and American Families', 'Black and Asian Family History', and an extended feature on 'Names'. With handy research tips, a full background to the social history of communities and individuals, and an updated appendix listing all national and local record offices with their contact details, this is an essential reference work for anyone wanting advice on how to approach genealogical research, as well as a fascinating read for anyone interested in the past.
- Author BiographyDavid Hey is Emeritus Professor of Local and Family History at the University of Sheffield. His many publications include The Oxford Guide to Family History (1993), Family Names and Family History (2000), How Our Ancestors Lived: a history of life 100 years ago (2003), and Journeys in Family History: Exploring Your Past and Finding Your Ancestors (2004).
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication25/02/2010
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1024 g
- Width153 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byDavid Hey
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Most relevant reviews
- valleewa23 Jun, 2016by
The go-to book for English local and family history
This is an extremely comprehensive guide. Not only does it give brief information on a huge range of terms used in the field, it also provides thematic articles on topics ranging through The Poor, Education, African-Caribbean Genealogy, Women Local and Family Historians, and more. Equally valuable as a reference book and an overview of major areas of interest. The editor - a leader in the field - died only a few days ago so alas, we will probably not see any more books from him. I am very pleased that I bought this book and it has provided the information I needed every time I've referred to it. A real winner.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34