Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionPlato is the best kwn, and continues to be the most widely studied, of all the ancient Greek philosophers. The twenty-one commissioned articles in The Oxford Handbook of Plato provide in-depth and up-to-date discussions of a variety of topics and dialogues. The result is a useful state-of-the-art reference to the man many consider the most important philosophical thinker in history. Each article is an original contribution from a leading scholar, and they all serve several functions at once: they survey the lay of the land; express and develop the authors' own views; and situate those views within a range of alternatives. This Handbook contains chapters on metaphysics, epistemology, love, language, ethics, politics, art and education. Individual chapters are devoted to each of the following dialogues: the Republic, Parmenides, Theaetetus, Sophist, Timaeus, and Philebus. There are also chapters on Plato and the dialogue form; on Plato in his time and place; on the history of the Platonic corpus; on Aristotle's criticism of Plato, and on Plato and Platonism.
- Author BiographyGail Fine is Professor of Philosophy at Cornell University and Senior research Fellow at Merton College, Oxford. She is the author of On Ideas and Plato on Knowledge and Forms: Selected Essays, and the editor of Plato 1: Metaphysics and Epistemology and of Plato 2: Ethics, Politics, Religion and the Soul, both in the Oxford Readings in Philosophy series.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication14/04/2011
- Series TitleOxford Handbooks
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight989 g
- Width171 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byGail Fine
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.