All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA comprehensive view of the ancient Greek world, its history and its achievements. The legacy of the Hellenistic world is vast-it ranges from architecture to philosophy, literature, and the visual arts to military strategy and science. This authoritative study covers the period from the eighth century BC, which witnessed the emergence of the Greek city-states, to the conquests of Alexander the Great and the establishment of the Greek monarchies some five centuries later. Chapters dealing with political and social history are interspersed with chapters on philosophy and the arts, including Homer, Greek myth, Aristotle, and Plato, Greek dramatists such as Sophocles and Aristophanes, and the flourishing of the visual and plastic arts. This volume, first published as part of The Oxford History of the Classical World, includes illustrations, maps, a Chrology of Events, and suggestions for Further Reading.
- Author BiographyJohn Boardman is Professor Emeritus of Classical Archaeology and Art, Lincoln College, Oxford. Dr Oswyn Murray is Fellow and Tutor in Ancient History at Baliol College, Oxford. Dr Jasper Griffin is Tutor in Ancient History at Baliol College, Oxford.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication31/05/2001
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford Paperbacks
- Content Note8 pp halftone plates, maps
- Weight397 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byJasper Griffin,John Boardman,Oswyn Murray
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.