All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis richly illustrated book tells the story of Christianity from its origins to the present day. Written by a team of scholars, all authorities in their fields, it spans 2000 years of colourful incident to give an uniquely authoritative history of Christianity for the general reader. Every aspect of the faith is explored. The introduction discusses Christian interpretations of the historical process, and the links and tensions between religious and artistic inspiration. The first section runs chrologically from the earliest Christian communities to 1800, and includes chapters on Eastern Christendom, Christianity and Islam, the Reformation, the Enlightenment, and the expansion of Christianity. The second section is divided by geographical area, and covers the period from 1800 to the present day. There are special studies of Britain and Europe, North America, South America, Africa, India, the Far East, and the Orthodox Churches of Eastern Europe. The final section 'Christianity Today and Tomorrow' considers questions of Christian theology, conscience and belief and explores new images of the Christian community, ending with a glimpse of the future of Christanity. Throughout, the book, reflects the changing world in which Christians have found themselves, and gives full weight to events and movements where the Christian response has been challenged and re-evaluated. There are over 350 illustrations, and 32 full colour plates, all specifically chosen to complement the broad-ranging text. Authoritative, comprehensive and highly readable, this book captures the richness and vitality of Christian art and thought in a wide variety of cultures and times.
- Author BiographyJohn MacManners is Fellow of All Souls, and Professor Emeritus of Ecclesiastical History, University of Oxford. He has written extensively on French and European history. His fifth book Death and the Enlightenment (OUP 1981) was awarded the Wolfson Literary Prize for History, and was one of The Times' ten best non fiction titles of the year.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2001
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleOxford Illustrated History
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note32 pp colour plates and numerous halftones
- Weight1709 g
- Width190 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byJohn McManners
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.04Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.