Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $27.32Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.66+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen I was a little girl, my dad left me and my mum, and he never came back. And you're supposed to be gutted when that happens. But secretly I preferred it without him, cos it meant I had my mum completely to myself, without having to share her with anyone. And I sort of inherited all the affection she used to give to my dad - like he'd left it behind for me as a gift, to say sorry for deserting me So says eleven year old Shruti of her broken home in suburban middle England. But hopes of her mother's affection are in vain: speaking little English, and fluent in only Hindi and Punjabi, Shruti's mother is lost, and soon falls prey to family pressure to remarry. To find ather husband means returning to India and leaving Shruti behind. Meanwhile at school a new arrival, the indomitable Meena, dispenses with Shruti's bullying problems and transforms her day to day life. Desperate for companionship Shruti latches on to Meena to the point of obsession, following her through high school and on to university. But when Meena invites Shruti to join her on holiday in India, she has idea how dangerous her obsession will turn out to be...Gabriel Packard's THE PAINTED OCEAN has been described by Colum McCann 'as fearless tour de force. It is a rare achievement - an emotionally rich work of literature, delivered in the form of a gripping, page-turning story. The depiction of a British Indian childhood and adolescence is utterly compelling, as is the allegorical exploration of the human condition.'
- Author BiographyGabriel is the Associate Director of the Creative Writing MFA Programme at Hunter College, and has previously given seminars at Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, Cornell, Dartmouth and Wellesley. He writes a monthly 'Writers on Writing' column for The Writer magazine, and his journalism has appeared in publications worldwide, including New York Magazine, The Village Voice and Poets & Writers. He has a BA in English from Oxford University and an MFA in fiction writing from Hunter College. He has also worked as a researcher for the novelists E.L. Doctorow, Peter Carey and Jonathan Franzen.
- Author(s)Gabriel Packard
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication03/03/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight668 g
- Width162 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine39 mm
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $15.08New
- AU $8.05Used
- AU $65.33New
- AU $52.51Used
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $53.36New
- AU $47.50Used
- AU $16.57New
- AU $18.33New
- AU $27.95New
- AU $6.80New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $49.95Trending at AU $53.36
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $12.39
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $15.95
- AU $55.66Trending at AU $57.80
- AU $33.92Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $20.66Trending at AU $22.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.