Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.81Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
- AU $23.93Trending at AU $24.87
About this product
- DescriptionAfter coming to Vienna from Sudan to win a better life for himself, Hamza struggles to escape from the margins of society and the stigma of the immigrant. Following several years of hardship, his fortunes begin to change when he meets Sandra, a young Austrian woman, who shows him the Palm House. In this famous Viennese greenhouse, the frost of Hamza's heart begins to thaw, and he slowly opens himself to Sandra, revealing his bitter yet beautiful past in Sudan and beyond. This masterful vel draws on the 1001 Nights as well as Sudanese folk traditions, and demonstrates the remarkable power of storytelling to overcome even the most dire circumstances. Critically acclaimed across the Arab world, this vel can be read on its own, or as a sequel to Eltayeb's first vel, Cities without Palms (AUC Press, 2009).
- Author BiographyTarek Eltayeb was born in Cairo in 1959, the son of Sudanese parents. Since 1984 he has lived in Austria, where he is currently a professor at the International Management Center of the University of Applied Sciences at Krems, Austria. He is the author of two novels as well as short stories and poetry. Kareem James Abu-Zeid has published translations of Arabic poetry in various journals, and is the translator of Tarek Eltayeb's Cities without Palms.
- Author(s)Kareem James Abu-Zeid,Tarek Eltayeb
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Weight695 g
- Width162 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.