All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe controversy about Wood's Halfpence between 1722 and 1725 was an exceptional instance of Irish defiance of England's imperial authority. In a heated public dispute, more than 100 pamphlets and broadsides in prose and verse protested against the English Government's granting a patent for coining copper money for Ireland to an English manufacturer. Castigating the project in ecomic and constitutional terms, they revealed an indebtedness to traditional arguments for Ireland's status as a free kingdom, whose people enjoyed the same liberties as the people of England. The pamphlets thus render a representative picture of Irish political thought and of the country's relationship with its closest neighbour, and most powerful rival, England, in the early eighteenth century.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Sabine Baltes studied English Language and Literature, Modern History, and Economics at the Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet, Muenster, and at the University of Ulster at Coleraine / Northern Ireland. From 1997 to 1999, she worked at the Institut fuer Buchwissenschaft und Textforschung, in 2000 at the Labor fuer Biophysik, and in 2002 at the Ehrenpreis-Institut fuer Swift Studien at the Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet, Muenster.
- Author(s)Sabine Baltes
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/06/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleMunsteraner Monographien Zur Englischen Literatur / Munster Monographs on English Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number27
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note1 fig.
- Weight470 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.