All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmerica's political system is dysfunctional. While this is a widely held view, it is a problem that-so far-has proved intractable. After every election, voters discover yet again that political leaders are simply quarreling in a never-ending battle between the two warring tribes, the Republicans and Democrats. In this critically important book, a distinguished statesman and thinker identifies exactly how our political and governing systems reward intransigence, discourage compromise, and undermine our democracy. He then describes exactly what must be done to banish the negative effects of partisan warfare from our political system. As a former congressman, Mickey Edwards witnessed firsthand how important legislative battles can devolve into struggles t over principle but over party advantage. He offers graphic examples of how this problem has intensified and reveals how political battles have become thing more than conflicts between party machines. Edwards's solutions-specific, practical, fair, and original-show the way to break the stranglehold of the political party system. The Parties Versus the People offers hope for a fundamental renewal of American democracy.
- Author BiographyMickey Edwards, a congressman for sixteen years and a faculty member at Harvard and Princeton for the subsequent sixteen years, is a vice president of the Aspen Institute.
- Author(s)Mickey Edwards
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/09/2013
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight245 g
- Width143 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.