All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Pastoral Clinic takes us on a penetrating journey into an iconic Western landscape - rthern New Mexico's Espala Valley, home to the highest rate of heroin addiction and fatal overdoses in the United States. In a lumius narrative, Angela Garcia chronicles the lives of several Hispa addicts, introducing us to the intimate, physical, and institutional dependencies in which they are entangled. We discover how history pervades this region that has endured centuries of material and cultural dispossession, and we come to see its heroin problem as a contemporary expression of these conditions, as well as a manifestation of the human desire to be released from them. Lyrically evoking the Espala Valley and its residents through conversations, encounters, and recollections, The Pastoral Clinic is at once a devastating portrait of addiction, a rich ethgraphy of place, and an eloquent call for a new ethics of care.
- Author BiographyAngela Garcia is Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Stanford University.
- Author(s)Angela Garcia
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication08/06/2010
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note10 b/w photographs
- Weight59 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.