Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'There came the splash of water and the rub of heels as Mrs Barber stepped into the tub. After that there was a silence, broken only by the occasional echoey plink of drips from the tap...'Frances had been picturing her lodgers in purely mercenary terms - as something like two great waddling shillings. But this, she thought, was what it really meant to have paying guests: this odd, unintimate proximity, this rather peeled-back moment, where the only thing between herself and a naked Mrs Barber was a few feet of kitchen and a thin scullery door. An image sprang into her head: that round flesh, crimsoning in the heat.' It is 1922, and London is tense. Ex-servicemen are disillusioned, the out-of-work and the hungry are demanding change. And in South London, in a genteel Camberwell villa, a large silent house w bereft of brothers, husband and even servants, life is about to be transformed, as impoverished widow Mrs Wray and her spinster daughter, Frances, are obliged to take in lodgers. For with the arrival of Lilian and Leonard Barber, a modern young couple of the 'clerk class', the routines of the house will be shaken up in unexpected ways. And as passions mount and frustration gathers, one can foresee just how far-reaching, and how devastating, the disturbances will be. This is vintage Sarah Waters: beautifully described with excruciating tension, real tenderness, believable characters, and surprises. It is above all a wonderful, compelling story.
- Author BiographySarah Waters was born in Wales in 1966. She has been shortlisted for the Man Booker and Orange prizes and has won The South Bank Show Award and The Somerset Maugham Award. Four of her novels have been adapted for television. She has been named as author of the Year four times - by the Booksellers Association, Sunday Times, Waterstone's and The British Book Awards.
- PrizesWinner of Independent Bookshop Week Book Awards: Adult Book 2015. Long-listed for Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction 2015 and Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2015.
- Author(s)Sarah Waters
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication28/08/2014
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVirago Press Ltd
- Out-of-print date20/08/2015
- Weight880 g
- Width143 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine47 mm
- Edition StatementDeluxe ed
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $65.05New
- AU $15.01New
- AU $8.00Used
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $56.92New
- AU $47.29Used
- AU $18.25New
- AU $16.43New
- AU $11.92Used
- AU $27.83New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.01
- AU $49.95Trending at AU $56.92
- AU $55.73Trending at AU $57.55
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $18.45
- AU $12.59Trending at AU $15.88
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $13.99
- AU $33.96Trending at AU $35.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.