All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe literature of Africa is dominated by accounts of crisis and gloom. But Thomas Bassett, a distinguished American geographer well kwn in the field of development, tells an unusual story of the growth of the cotton ecomy of West Africa. One of the few long-running success stories in African development, change was brought about by tens of thousands of small-scale peasant farmers. While the introduction of new strains of cotton in French West Africa was in part a result of agromic research by French scientists, supported by an unusually efficient marketing structure, this is t a case of triumphant top-down 'planification'. Employing the case of Cote d'Ivoire, Professor Bassett shows agricultural intensification to result from the cumulative effect of decades of incremental changes in farming techniques and social organization. A significant contribution to the literature, the book demonstrates the need to consider the local and temporal dimensions of agricultural invations. It brings into question many key assumptions that have influenced development policies during the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyThomas J. Bassett is Associate Professor of Geography at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. He is co-author of Land in African Agrarian Systems (1993) and Maps of Africa to 1900 (2000), and has been engaged in long-term field work in Cote d'Ivoire since 1981.
- Author(s)Thomas J. Bassett
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2006
- Series TitleAfrican Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number101
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note7 maps 13 tables
- Weight400 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Series Edited byDavid Anderson,Carolyn Brown,Christopher Clapham,Michael Gomez,Patrick Manning,David Robinson,Leonardo A. Villalon
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.