All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this interpretive commentary on Theaetetus, Gregory Kirk makes a major con-tribution to scholarship on Plato by emphasizing the relevance of the interpersonal dynamics between the interlocutors for the interpretation of the dialogue's central arguments about kwledge. Kirk attends closely to the personalities of the participants in the dialogue, focusing especially on the unique demands faced by a student-in this case, Theaetetus-and the ways in which one can embrace or deflect the responsibilities of learning. Kirk's approach gives equal consideration to the dual demands of dramatic interpretation and philosophical argument that constitute the unique character of the Platonic text, and he develops an original interpretation of the Theaetetus, concluding that the uncertainty that characterizes wisdom supersedes the certainty of kwledge.
- Author BiographyGregory Kirk is a lecturer in philosophy at Northern Arizona University, USA.
- Author(s)Gregory Kirk
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- Series TitleRereading Ancient Philosophy
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.