All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'The ghost is the most enduring figure in supernatural fiction. He is absolutely indestructible...He changes with the styles in fiction but he never goes out of fashion. He is the really permanent citizen of the earth, for mortals, at best, are but transients' - Dorothy Scarborough. This new selection of ghost stories, by Michael Newton, brings together the best of the genre. From Elizabeth Gaskell's The Old Nurse's Story through to Edith Wharton's Afterword , this collection covers all of the most terrifying tales of the genre. With a thoughtful introduction, and helpful tes, Newton places the stories contextually within the genre and elucidates the changing nature of the ghost story and how we interpret it.
- Author BiographyMichael Newton was both an undergraduate and postgraduate at University College London. He is the author of Savage Girls and Wild Boys: A History of Feral Children (Faber & Faber, 2002) and of a book on Kind Hearts and Coronets for the British Film Institute's Film Classics series (2003). He has also edited Edmund Gosse's Father and Son for Oxford World's Classics and Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent for Penguin. He has taught at UCL, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, and Princeton University, and currently works at the University of Leiden. At present he is completing a book on the history of assassination and political violence.
- Author(s)Michael Newton
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/2010
- SubjectHorror & Ghost Stories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight322 g
- Width138 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byMichael Newton
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.20
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.92
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $24.81
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.20
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $14.46Trending at AU $15.42
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $14.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.