All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Penguin Knitting Book by James Norbury is a charming how-to-knit classic packed with delightfully vintage advice. Knitting fills a fascinating page in the human story. I kw of home-craft that enjoys the universal popularity of hand-knitting James Norbury's The Penguin Knitting Book, first published in 1957, is a how-to guide for the experienced knitter as well as the beginner. Full of wit and charm as well as tips and techniques for the contemporary knitter, The Penguin Knitting Book entertainingly illustrates all things vintage in the world of wool. Along with telling you how to knit, The Penguin Knitting Book includes original vintage patterns for every member of the family. Babies' coats, pullovers for father, sweaters for the teenager, dresses, jumpers, coats and cardigans, you will find them all in this charming aid to better knitting. 'James Norbury was the strongest single influence in British knitting during the twenty-five years after the Second World War' Sir Bishop Richard Rutt, author of A History of Hand Knitting '[In the late 1960s] there was a chap called James Norbury, who had his own knitting show on the BBC. I sat in on some of the programmes, and good stuff it was, too. I learned lots of racy stuff about 'knit one, purl one Sir David Attenborough 'Knitting is the saving of a life' Virginia Woolf James Norbury wrote The Penguin Knitting Book in 1957. He travelled extensively throughout the world, studying every aspect of the knitter's craft. A knitting historian, teacher and designer as well as a television star on his own BBC knitting show, he was Chief Designer for Patons and one of the foremost authorities on the history of knitting.
- Author BiographyJames Norbury was a knitwear designer, the host of his own BBC knitting show, a foremost knitting historian, and the author of Traditional Knitting Patterns. He said of himself, I was a foolhardy lover who has always been prepared to throw his loyalty and devotion at the feet of Mistress Knitting.
- Author(s)James Norbury
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication06/11/2014
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations (colour)
- Weight179 g
- Width111 mm
- Height181 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.