Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe People I Kw is a collection of nine stories, told by characters who hover at the edge of life. Whether it's Lorne, perched on a sofa as a wedding party swirls around him, or the elderly Mrs. R of Morning at the Beach, imagining a career in crime as she sits on the front porch of a Miami hotel, these are people oddly accustomed to the sidelines of their worlds.Nancy Zafris's characters do t so much hurdle their barriers as contemplate them with varying degrees of humor, regret, and fanciful expectation. Gazing out of his window at a horizon of crushed cars, Bonner Junior fantasizes about working at an I.M. Pei office building instead of at John Bonner and Son Metal Shredders; at the same time, his job allows him to amuse his friends with grisly, embellished stories of human shreddings and wild dogs. In Meeting in Tokyo, a businessman examines his own attraction and aversion to conformity after taking a young secretary to a love hotel. For Wendy, born with a strong se and a Baltic name, cosmetic surgery has brought acceptance but also boredom. Suffering little deaths of feeling with each success, she flirts with disaster, with anything that will make her heartbeat go up to 75 or more. Grace, in Grace's Reply, prefers to deal with reality through illusion; she blames her son's death on a Navy intelligence operation and sends Pampers to an imaginary grandson.Ranging from the kiddie bleachers of television's Uncle Sylvester Show to the upholstered seats of a Tokyo coffee shop, from a Navy recruitment office to a meeting of Alcoholics Anymous, these stories enliven the common places of our world. Sad, yet rarely defeated, Nancy Zafris's characters toe the line and sometimes manage to cross it.
- Author BiographyNancy Zafris is the author of two novels, Lucky Strike and The Metal Shredders. Her stories have appeared in numerous literary magazines and she is Fiction Editor of The Kenyon Review.
- Author(s)Nancy Zafris
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2009
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.50
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.63
- AU $56.19Trending at AU $59.28
- AU $21.84Trending at AU $24.73
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.14
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $20.61
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.