All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionWith an introduction by Alan Titchmarsh, The People's Gardener is an inspiring memoir by top gardening judge Jim Buttress, that will amuse and enthral gardeners everywhere. As a judge at the RHS, Jim Buttress presides over the country's favourite flower shows, including Chelsea and Hampton Court. He also judged the Britain in Bloom competition for over twenty-five years, and was watched by millions on the BBC's The Big Allotment Challenge. But how did this practical gardener from Purley go on to have one of the most impressive careers in British horticulture? In this warm and funny memoir, Jim takes us from his boyhood obsession with Percy Thrower to his ten-year stint as Superintendent of the Central Royal Parks. Here, his day-to-day duties could include anything from having a drink and a chat with the Queen Mother to working out how to water some elephants who'd taken up residence in Hyde Park. Jim also reveals what it's like to exhibit, and to win gold, at the Chelsea Flower Show, and shares his many adventures as a judge; from the joy of awarding medals to grateful winners to the shock of being threatened with a punch on the se from the odd irate loser. Packed with brilliant characters, this book will delight everyone who shares Jim's love of gardening.
- Author BiographyJim Buttress trained at RHS Wisley and worked for the GLC before becoming Superintendent of the Central Royal Parks, and then Superintendent of Greenwich Royal Park. He has frequently exhibited at the Chelsea Flower show, winning the gold medal numerous times. He is head judge at the RHS, and also judged Britain in Bloom for twenty-five years. He has appeared in the television series Save Lullingstone Castle and Return to Lullingstone Castle and more recently in Big Allotment Challenge. He has been awarded two medals of honour from the RHS, the Associate Medal of Honour and the much coveted Victoria Medal of Honour.
- Author(s)Jim Buttress
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication19/05/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSidgwick & Jackson Ltd
- Weight590 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edition StatementMain Market Ed.
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.