All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPeople with disabilities are one of the largest groups in the United States - about 58 million Americans are members of this community. To live independently, many people with physical, sensory or cognitive disabilities hire a Personal Attendant to assist with day-to-day tasks. Finding a qualified caregiver can be challenging, but t impossible. Written by an inspiring speaker, writer and advocate who is herself disabled, The Personal Care Attendant Guide teaches readers how to find a competent caregiver. It also gives current and prospective attendants vital information and real-life examples to help them succeed in this demanding work environment. Special features include:* Easy-to-use forms and worksheets to make a search easier and more organised* Personal stories from people with disabilities who use attendants to maintain their independence* Anecdotes from experienced caregivers* Resources listed alphabetically by disabilityThe relationship between those who need help and those who provide it can be difficult to balance but it can be maintained and even fun at times. This unique book will equip people with disabilities, as well as those managing caregivers for family members, with the skills to successfully find, interview, hire, train and supervise their Personal Attendants.
- Author BiographyKatie Rodriguez Banister survived an auto accident in 1990 that left her a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the chest down. After six months of rehabilitation and fifteen months with her parents, she returned to living independently in 1992. Katie and her husband Steve co-founded Access-4-All, Inc., with a mission to educate and empower others through motivational speaking and disability education. Katie has authored Aunt KatieC Visit, an educational book for children, which has been enjoyed equally by parents, teachers, and librarians. As a person who gives back to her community, Katie has been a member of the Recreation Council of the Greater St. Louis Board of Directors since 1992, where she has served two terms as president. She is a board member and president of the Delta Center for Independent Living, and a board member of the VSA Arts of Missouri. She was also a performer and founding member of St. Louis Ability ProjectC and co-produced her own motivational video Change Takes Time. She has co-hosted the public access cable show CFYBeyond BarriersC and was on a 2003 commercial for the St. Louis Community College that is still being used. Katie has been featured in local newspapers numerous times for her dedication to educating her community.
- Author(s)Katie Banister
- PublisherDemos Medical Publishing
- Date of Publication31/08/2006
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDemos Medical Publishing
- Weight231 g
- Width152 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine11 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.