All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFocusing on local content in the oil and oil service sectors and the changing accumulation strategies of the domestic elite, this book questions what kinds of development are possible through natural resource extraction and argues that a new form of developmental state - the 'petro- developmental state' - may w be emerging in the Gulf of Guinea, allowing states to capitalise on a resource that has traditionally been thought of as a 'curse'. In a new moment for the extraction of oil created by a changed domestic context in Angola and Nigeria and changed geopolitical realities, new possibilities exist for state-led ecomic and social development and capitalist transformation. Ovadia contends that ultimately whether development or underdevelopment results from the transformation depends t only on historical conditions, but also on power relations and struggles at the level of civil society. Local content is perhaps the single most important invation in energy policy in the Global South in recent decades.Expanding debates about state- led development and the developmental state, the concept of a petro-developmental state offers an explanation for how some of the most strategically significant countries in Africa can achieve meaningful ecomic and social progress.
- Author BiographyJesse Salah Ovadia is a Lecturer in International Political Economy at Newcastle University.
- Author(s)Jesse Salah Ovadia
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication04/02/2016
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Weight431 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.