All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom its completion in 1949 to the present day, Philip Johnson's Glass House has drawn cogscenti and the curious from around the world to New Canaan, Connecticut, to experience what might be the most photographed modernist residence in America. The property-an architectural playground on forty-seven acres with eleven Johnsonian follies dating from 1949 to 1995-is an icon of twentieth century architectural and landscape design. The book chronicles how Philip Johnson and David Whitney, the architect and the plantsman, lived on the property for decades and used the landscape as an ever-changing canvas for their designs-the result of a unique synthesis of influences and ideas from across history and geography. New research reveals Johnson's and Whitney's interaction with the landscape and the evolution of the site from a five-acre parcel to a world-rewned gentlemanly estate for modern times. The Philip Johnson Glass House- beautifully illustrated with vintage and commissioned photography-will be a must-have for conisseurs of architecture, landscape design, photography, and social history.
- Author BiographyMaureen Cassidy-Geiger is an internationally recognized curator, scholar, and educator with expertise in European decorative arts, gardens, photography, and the history of architecture. Charles A. Birnbaum, FASLA FAAR, is president and CEO of the Cultural Landscape Foundation in Washington, D.C.
- Author(s)Maureen Cassidy-Geiger
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication05/04/2016
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkira Rizzoli
- Content Note200 colour and black and white illustrations
- Weight1179 g
- Width254 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Foreword byCharles A. Birnbaum
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.