All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionRewned for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) was also one of the most important amateur photographers of the Victorian era and the period's finest photographer of children. From 1856 to 1880, Carroll took around three thousand pictures, the majority of which were portraits of family, friends, and colleagues. He also sought out and photographed celebrities of the day, including Alfred Tennyson, Samuel Wilberforce, Michael Faraday, William Holman Hunt, Henry Taylor, George MacDonald, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Christina Rossetti, Ellen Terry, John Everett Millais, Charlotte Yonge, and Prince Leopold. Carroll's remaining output includes images of landscapes and architecture, works of art, and skeletons; assisted self-portraits; and other miscellaneous pictures. Today, his photographs are highly prized and fetch ermous prices at auction. This catalogue raisonne presents images of the nearly one thousand surviving photographs of Lewis Carroll-including many from private collections that have never been published-and provides information on their subjects/sitters, their locations, and the dates when they were taken, as well as extracts from Carroll's private diaries that mention his relevant photographic activity and background information concerning kwn prints. Edward Wakeling, an internationally recognized Carrollian scholar, has also reconstructed Carroll's lost register of his complete photographic opus. In addition to the catalogue, Wakeling discusses Carroll's activity as a photographer, his contacts with other Victorian art photographers, and his nude studies, and he provides a full listing of the contents of Carroll's various photographic albums. This is the most comprehensive study of Carroll's photography ever produced, and it will be a standard work for anyone studying Victorian photography and for Lewis Carroll's photographs in particular.
- Author BiographyEdward Wakeling, a mathematician, is a former chairman of the Lewis Carroll Society in the United Kingdom and has been an active member for some forty years. He is also a member of various Lewis Carroll societies around the world. Wakeling has published many books and articles about Lewis Carroll, including Lewis Carroll, Photographer and the first complete unabridged edition of Lewis Carroll's Diaries, which he edited in ten volumes.
- Author(s)Edward Wakeling,Elisabeth Mead
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2015
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note982 color photos
- Weight2297 g
- Width254 mm
- Height310 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.