All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIllustrated in b/w with 15 figures and 180 plates. This volume includes over 150 never previously published photographs of archaeological sites in the Middle East (Jordan, Leban, Syria, and Israel) taken in 1875 by photographer Tancrede Dumas for the American Palestine Exploration Society. The volume additionally tells the complete history of the American Palestine Exploration Society, which functioned in the 1870s and worked together with the British Palestine Exploration Fund to survey and map archaeological sites in Ottoman Palestine. The interaction of the two societies is examined, and Dumas's photographs are put into a comparative context alongside those of contemporaries such as Bonfils. These photographs preserve the appearance of many of these sites when they were first seen by westerners, before urban development and tourism changed the nature of the regions. Photographs include the ruins of Baalbek, Jerash, parts of Jerusalem, and numerous other sites.
- Author BiographyFelicity Cobbing is Executive Secretary and Curator of The Palestine Exploration Fund in London.
- Author(s)Felicity Cobbing,Jeffrey A. Spurr,Rachel Hallote
- PublisherAmerican Schools of Oriental Research
- Date of Publication31/12/2012
- Series TitleAnnual of ASOR
- Series Part/Volume Number66
- Place of PublicationAtlanta
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Schools of Oriental Research
- Content Note15 figs; 179 plates
- Weight1429 g
- Width215 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.