All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $27.06
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $35.12
- AU $33.01Trending at AU $39.52
- AU $11.42Trending at AU $14.09
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.35
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $25.47
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.33
About this product
- DescriptionOscar Wilde brings his ermous gifts for astute social observation and sparkling prose to The Picture of Dorian Gray, his dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. This dandy, who remains forever unchanged-petulant, hedonistic, vain, and amoral-while a painting of him ages and grows increasingly hideous with the years, has been horrifying and enchanting readers for more than 100 years. Taking the reader in and out of London drawing rooms, to the heights of aestheticism, and to the depths of decadence, The Picture of Dorian Gray is t simply a melodrama about moral corruption. Laced with bon mots and vivid depictions of upper-class refinement, it is also a fascinating look at the milieu of Wilde's fin-de-siecle world and a manifesto of the creed Art for Art's Sake. The ever-quotable Wilde, who once delighted London with his scintillating plays, scandalized readers with this, his only vel. Upon publication, Dorian was condemned as dangerous, poisous, stupid, vulgar, and immoral, and Wilde as a driveling pedant. The vel, in fact, was used against Wilde at his much-publicized trials for gross indecency, which led to his imprisonment and exile on the European continent. Even so, The Picture of Dorian Gray firmly established Wilde as one of the great voices of the Aesthetic movement and endures as a classic that is as timeless as its hero.
- Author BiographyOscar Wilde (1854-1900) was an Irish-born poet, writer, and lecturer, whose sole novel was the controversial The Picture of Dorian Gray. One of AudioFile magazine's Golden Voices, Simon Prebble has received over twenty Earphones Awards and five Listen-Up Awards, and he has been a finalist fourteen times for an Audie Award. In 2006, Publishers Weekly named him Narrator of the Year, and he was named Booklist 's 2010 Voice of Choice.
- Author(s)Oscar Wilde
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication08/09/2008
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight79 g
- Width163 mm
- Height137 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Narrator(s)Simon Prebble
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time480
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.