All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJean Lafitte left behind many a legend for generations to follow in the pages of Louisiana history. Treasure hunters still speculate about the site of pirated loot buried under French Quarter homes or sunk in the Barataria swamps. His torious reputation was born of tales like these of the blacksmith and suspect pirate. But regardless of whatever the storytellers may repeat, there is one legend that does survive the test of authenticity, the story of how Jean Lafitte and his men were heroes at the Battle of New Orleans against the invading British forces during the War of 1812. In The Pirate Lafitte and the Battle of New Orleans, author Robert Tallant has given younger readers a chance to relive the excitement, romance, and thrill of those days when the Barataria pirates threatened river traffic and New Orleans felt the threat of siege by the British. This enthralling story from the pages of history is delightfully told with an emphasis on helping children understand the political events of the time as well as the social climate of the city in the early-nineteenth century. The story reveals the speculative past of Lafitte and how he hid behind the facade of his blacksmiths shop in the Vieux Carre. He held bitter contempt for his enemy Goverr Claiborne until that famous battle, in which the pirate-turned-hero joined Gen. Andrew Jackson to protect the city from the incoming assault of British soldiers. Combining tales of pirates, mystery, battle, true events, and real people, this childrens book is a thrilling chapter in American history.
- Author BiographyRobert Tallant (1909-57), one of Louisianas best-known authors, participated in the WPA Writers Project during the 1930s and 1940s. Besides Mardi Gras ... As It Was, Tallant also wrote Voodoo in New Orleans, The Voodoo Queen, and The Pirate Lafitte and the Battle of New Orleans, all published by Pelican. With Lyle Saxon and Edward Dreyer he coauthored the famous Pelican collection Gumbo Ya-Ya: Folk Tales of Louisiana.
- Author(s)Robert Tallant
- PublisherPelican Publishing Co
- Date of Publication31/03/1994
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationGretna, LA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPelican Publishing Co
- Content Note21 b/w illus.
- Weight256 g
- Width140 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.