All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe role that placebos play in many treatments is clear: they t only play a complimentary role in various treatment options but they can sometimes be the only beneficial option for treatment. Brain imaging studies over the past decade have shown that placebo-treated patients undergo some of the same changes in brain activity as those treated with pharmacologically active substances. Yet this important component of healing is t yet harnessed in clinical settings. The Placebo Effect in Clinical Practice brings together what we kw about the mechanisms behind the placebo response, as well as the procedures that promote these responses, in order to provide a focused and concise overview on how current kwledge can be applied in treatment settings. An introductory chapter documents the ubiquity and extent of the placebo response and discusses the history of the placebo response in relation to medical treatment. Several subsequent chapters focus on how placebos work and how the placebo effect can be enhanced. Expectation, conditioning and elements of the treatment situation are covered in separate chapters. The relationship between psychotherapy and placebo treatment is covered as is the ethics of deliberate use of the placebo effect. Because placebo effects are particularly prominent in some psychiatric conditions, particular attention is given to the role of the placebo response in psychiatric treatment. The final chapter summarizes what we currently kw and offers concrete suggestions for how what we kw of the placebo effect can be used to enhance the benefit of all treatments.
- Author BiographyWalter A Brown, MD, is clinical professor of psychiatry at Brown University (Provident, RI) and clinical professor of psychiatry at Tufts University (Boston, MA). Dr Brown's research on the placebo effect spans more than 25 years and he is widely regarded as an authority on the subject. He has authored or co-authored more than 160 peer-reviewed papers, more than 30 of which have been academic papers on the placebo effect.
- Author(s)Walter A. Brown
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication17/01/2013
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight334 g
- Width148 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.