All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.75Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume of the series The Plant Viruses is devoted to viruses with rod-shaped particles belonging to the following four groups: the toba- moviruses (named after tobacco mosaic virus), the tobraviruses (after to- bacco rattle), the hordeiviruses (after the latin hordeum in hor of the type member barley stripe mosaic virus), and the t yet officially rec- ognized furoviruses (fungus-transmitted rod-shaped viruses, Shirako and Brakke, 1984). At present these clusters of plant viruses are called groups instead of genera or families as is customary in other areas of virology. This pe- culiarity of plant viral taxomy (Matthews, 1982) is due to the fact that the current Plant Virus Subcommittee of the International Committee of Taxomy of Viruses is deeply split on what to call the categories or ranks used in virus classification. Some plant virologists believe that the species concept cant be applied to viruses because this concept, according to them, necessarily involves sexual reproduction and genetic isolation (Milne, 1984; Murant, 1985). This belief doubt stems from the fact that these authors restrict the use of the term species to biological species. According to them, a collection of similar viral isolates and strains does constitute an individ- ual virus, i. e. , it is a taxomy entity separate from other individual viruses.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication20/05/2012
- SubjectLife Sciences: Botany
- Series TitleViruses
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note198 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight846 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byHeinz Fraenkel-Conrat,M. H. V. Van Regenmortel
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.