All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of essays situates the digital gaming phemen alongside broader debates in cultural and media studies. Contributors to this volume maintain that computer games are t simply toys, but rather circulate as commodities, new media techlogies, and items of visual culture that are embedded in complex social practices. Apart from placing games within longer arcs of cultural history and broader critical debates, the contributors to this volume all adopt a pedagogical and theoretical approach to studying games and gameplay, drawing on the interdisciplinary resources of the humanities and social sciences, particularly new media studies.In eight essays, the authors develop rich and nuanced understandings of the aesthetic appeals and pleasurable engagements of digital gameplay. The topics include the role of 'cheats' and 'easter eggs' in influencing cheating as an aesthetic phemen of gameplay; the relationship between videogames, gambling, and addiction; players' aesthetic and kinaesthetic interactions with computing techlogy; and the epistemology and phemelogy of popular strategy-based wargames and their relationship with real-world military applications. Notes and a bibliography accompany each essay, and the work includes several screenshots, images, and photographs.
- Author BiographyMelanie Swalwell conducts research on the intersections between aesthetics, new media arts and digital games. She currently lectures in the media studies program at Victoria University of Wellington. Jason Wilson has a range of international publications in videogame studies, on topics including early videogames and independent game design. He is a research associate at Queensland University of Technology.
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/08/2008
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notephotos, notes, bibliographies, index
- Weight286 g
- Width162 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byJason Wilson,Melanie Swalwell
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.