All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the fifth and final volume in David Roy's celebrated translation of one of the most famous and important vels in Chinese literature. The Plum in the Golden Vase or, Chin P'ing Mei is an anymous sixteenth-century work that focuses on the domestic life of Hsi-men Ch'ing, a corrupt, upwardly mobile merchant in a provincial town, who maintains a harem of six wives and concubines. The vel, kwn primarily for its erotic realism, is also a landmark in the development of the narrative art form--t only from a specifically Chinese perspective but in a world-historical context. This complete and antated translation aims to faithfully represent and elucidate all the rhetorical features of the original in its most authentic form and thereby enable the Western reader to appreciate this Chinese masterpiece at its true worth.
- Author BiographyDavid Tod Roy (1933-2016) was professor emeritus of Chinese literature at the University of Chicago. His monumental five-volume translation of the Chin P'ing Mei was completed in 2013.
- PrizesShortlisted for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2014.
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication13/10/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitlePrinceton Library of Asian Translations
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note40 line illus.
- Weight857 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $22.76Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.