All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from The Poetical Works of Geoffrey Chaucer, Vol. 6 [The Roman de la Rose is the earliest poem of its class in French literature. It consists of 22,000 verses; and was commenced by Guillaume de Lorris, who, after proceeding as far as 4070 verses, died in 1260. The allegory was afterwards taken up and completed by Jean de Meun. Moreri, and the biographical collections, assign 1279 or 1280 as the date of Jean de Meun's birth; yet it is certain that in 1284 he translated the Ars Militaris of Vegetius. Jehan le Maire, of Belgium, concludes from this circumstance that he must have been contemporaneous with Dante, who was born in 1265. Jean de Meun is supposed to have died about 1318. There was little in common between the genius of the two authors; and the parts they contributed to the poem are, consequently, distinguished by very different characteristics. Guillaume de Lorris possessed great constructive art, effectively displayed in the conduct of the allegory, remarkable skill in portraiture, rich invention, and exuberant fancy. Jean de Meun, on the other hand, was essentially a satirist; the poetical faculty in him was subordinate to more practical qualities; and his share of the work, deficient in imagination and varietj, abounds in wit, sarcasm, and licentiousness. His revolutionary and dissolute doctrines produced a storm. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Richard Morris
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication21/06/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Note, black & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.