All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTrades of money for political influence persist at every level of government. Not surprisingly, governments themselves trade money for political support on the international stage. Strange, however, is the tale of this book. For, in this study, legitimacy stands as the central political commodity at stake. The book investigates the ways governments trade money for favors at the United Nations Security Council - the body endowed with the international legal authority to legitimize the use of armed force to maintain or restore peace. With a wealth of quantitative data, the book shows that powerful countries, such as the United States, Japan, and Germany, extend financial favors to the elected members of the Security Council through direct foreign aid and through international organizations, such as the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. In return, developing countries serving on the Security Council must deliver their political support ...or face the consequences.
- Author BiographyJames Raymond Vreeland is Professor of International Relations at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service and holds a joint appointment in the Department of Government. Axel Dreher is Professor of International and Development Politics at Heidelberg University.
- PrizesShortlisted for American Political Science Association Political Economy Section William H. Riker Book Award 2015.
- Author(s)Axel Dreher,James Raymond Vreeland
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication29/05/2014
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note27 b/w illus. 19 tables
- Weight630 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.