All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCharles L. Dodgson's publications on political subjects offer a very different view of Lewis Carroll, the man made famous by his Alice books. Better kwn for whimsical and nsense writings, Dodgson wrote on the entire spectrum of voting theory, applying it to issues of local governance at Christ Church College in the University of Oxford, where he was employed all of his professional life-mainly as Mathematical Lecturer-and to issues of national politics. Yet this work remained largely unkwn at his death. This third volume of a planned series of six is a comprehensive account of Dodgson's publications on voting theory. Francine F. Abeles offers a fresh perspective on his contributions to what was then an embryonic school of politics. Drawing together all of Dodgson's pamphlets, letters, diary entries, and other pieces on this subject, Abeles traces the development of Dodgson's theory of voting from its beginnings in his participation in the academic affairs of the University of Oxford to his attempts to influence the outcome of bills before the British Parliament affecting the extension of the voting franchise and the redistribution of seats in the House of Commons. Collected together for the first time, these writings deal with such topics as ranking methods, voting amalies, sophisticated voting, proportional representation, apportionment, and applications of game theory to voting strategies. Dodgson's commitment to objectivity and fairness also led him to employ his methods in such sports applications as horse racing wagers and tennis tournament schedules. Each chapter of this book is preceded by an introductory essay providing background information and analyses to assist both the general reader and the specialist. The Pamphlets of Lewis Carroll will be of interest to students and scholars of Carroll's work, to political scientists, historians, and mathematicians, and to readers concerned with Victorian studies.
- Author BiographyFrancine F. Abeles is Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science at Kean University and the editor of The Mathematical Pamphlets of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson and Related Pieces.
- Author(s)C.L. Dodgson
- PublisherUniversity of Virginia Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2002
- Series TitleThe pamphlets of Lewis Carroll
- Series Part/Volume NumberVol 3
- Place of PublicationCharlottesville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Virginia Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Volume editorFrancine F. Abeles
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.