All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on the 1,800 largest school districts in the United States over a decade, The Politics of African-American Education documents the status of African-American education and the major role that partisanship plays. The book brings together the most comprehensive database on mirity education to date that centers around three arguments. First, partisanship permeates African-American education; it affects who is elected to the school board, the racial composition of school administrators and teachers, and the access of African-American students to quality education. Second, African-American representation matters. The effectiveness of African-American representation, however, is enhanced in Democratic districts while representation in Republican districts has little influence. Third, political structures matter, but they are t determinative. Two different structures - election rules and the independent school district - create the rules of the game in US education politics and policy but do t limit others from using those rules to change the outcome.
- Author BiographyKenneth J. Meier is the Charles H. Gregory Chair in Liberal Arts and Distinguished Professor of Political Science at Texas A & M University. He is also a Professor of Public Management at the Cardiff University School of Business. He was formerly the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory and the editor of the American Journal of Political Science. He is the founding editor of Perspectives on Public Management and Governance. Amanda Rutherford is an assistant professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University. She is the book review editor for the Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory and is a member of the Rising Professionals Editorial Board for the Journal of Student Financial Aid. Rutherford's research interests include managerial values and decision making, performance management, organization theory, representative bureaucracy, higher education policy, and research methodology.
- Author(s)Amanda Rutherford,Kenneth J. Meier
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication24/08/2016
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note25 b/w illus. 59 tables
- Weight460 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.