All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen sociology emerged as a discipline in the late nineteenth century, the problem of crowds constituted one of its key concerns. It was argued that crowds shook the foundations of society and led individuals into all sorts of irrational behaviour. Yet crowds were t just something to be fought in the street, they also formed a battleground over how sociology should be demarcated from related disciplines, most tably psychology. In The Politics of Crowds, Christian Borch traces sociological debates on crowds and masses from the birth of sociology until today, with a particular focus on the developments in France, Germany and the USA. The book is a refreshing alternative history of sociology and modern society, observed through society's other, the crowd. Borch shows that the problem of crowds is t just of historical interest: even today the politics of sociology is intertwined with the politics of crowds.
- Author BiographyChristian Borch is Associate Professor at the Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark. His PhD was on the history of modern crime semantics where he studied how notions of crime and criminals evolved in the twentieth century and what responses were launched to deal with crime. In his more recent research Borch has focused on crowds, architecture and urban theory. He has published widely on these issues as well as on key social theorists such as Gabriel Tarde, Niklas Luhmann and Peter Sloterdijk. He is co-founder and editor-in-chief of Distinktion: Scandinavian Journal of Social Theory.
- PrizesWinner of American Sociological Association Theory Section: Theory Prize 2014.
- Author(s)Christian Borch
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication12/04/2012
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.21New
- AU $18.80New
- AU $10.94Used
- AU $24.85New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.60New
- AU $6.47Used
- AU $19.97New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.81New
- AU $11.56Used
- AU $24.00New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.88Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.99
- AU $18.58Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.06
- AU $78.96Trending at AU $90.48
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.