All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionState re-scaling is the central concept mobilized in this book to interpret the political processes that are producing new ecomic spaces in India. In the quarter century since ecomic reforms were introduced, the Indian ecomy has experienced strong growth accompanied by extensive sectoral and spatial restructuring. This book argues that in this reformed institutional context, where both state spaces and ecomic geographies are being rescaled, subnational states play an increasingly critical role in coordinating socioecomic activities. The core thesis that the book defends is that the reform process has profoundly reconfigured the Indian state's rapport with its territory at all spatial scales, and these processes of state spatial rescaling are crucial for comprehending emerging patterns of ecomic governance and growth. It demonstrates that the outcomes of India's new policy regime are t only the product of impersonal market forces, but that they are also the result of endogeus political strategies, acting in conjunction with the territorial reorganisation of ecomic activities at various scales, ranging from local to global. Extensive empirical case material, primarily from field-based research, is used to support these theoretical assertions. Scholars of political ecomy, political and ecomic geography, industrial development, development studies and Asian Studies will find this a stimulating and invative contribution to the study of the political ecomy in the developing countries.
- Author BiographyLoraine Kennedy is a Research Director at the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) in Paris, France. Her current research focuses on subnational political economy in India.
- Author(s)Loraine Kennedy
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication05/12/2013
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Contemporary South Asia Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, 8 black & white tables, 4 black & white halftones
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.