All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnlike anywhere else in the world, in Nineteenth- and Twentieth-century Central Europe national movements and politicians made language into the paramount instrument of politics, and of statehood and nationhood legitimization. In this order of things, each nation wishing to be recognized in the international arena must possess its own unique national language. When a nation is lucky eugh to have gained its own nation-state, t only is the national language to become the new polity's sole official language, what is more, it cant be shared in that function with any other state across the globe. During the Twentieth century, this specifically Central European 'deification' of language justified the destruction of entire states deemed as 'n-national', vast unprecedented border changes, and instances of ethnic cleansing involving tens of millions. The violent parallel break-ups of Yugoslavia and Serbo-Croatia bear witness to the continuing destructive potential of language politicization.
- Author BiographyTOMASZ KAMUSELLA is Lecturer in Central European History at the University of St Andrews, UK, with a special interest in the issues of language politics, nationalism, ethnicity, and European integration. Recent books include Nationalisms Today (edited with K.Jaskulowski), Silesia and Central European Nationalisms and (co-edited in two-volumes) Nationalisms Across the Globe. In 2002-2006, he researched this new monograph, The Politics of Language and Nationalisms in Modern Central Europe, at the European University Institute, Florence; the John W. Kluge Centre at the Library of Congress, Washington DC; the Institute for Human Sciences, Vienna; and the Herder-Institut, Marburg, Germany.
- Author(s)Tomasz Kamusella
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication09/05/2012
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2008
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note15 maps
- Weight1511 g
- Width157 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine54 mm
- Foreword byPeter Burke
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.